San Paio de Narla
San Paio de Narla, also known as the Torre de Xiá is situated on a small hill just outside Friol (and mysteriously poorly signposted). It is eventually burnt to the ground in the film, although it still stands today and is open to visitors.
It was once a fort, and has been a museum since 1983. The original 14th century fortress was rebuilt in the 16th century, with additional works being carried out until the 19th.
In the 15th century it was one of 150 castles destroyed during the Irmandiños revolt against the feudal nobility.
The contents of the museum cover aspects of farming and regional domestic activities as well as local history.
The castle was saved from demolition in 1939 when the provincial government acquired it.
The castle’s ghost is called Berta. In a typical Romeo and Juliet/West Side Story story, the local Lord’s daughter escaped with her peasant lover and hid in the nearby ‘Serpent’s Cave’. Both the serpent and her lover were killed fighting each other, much to the relief of her peeved father no doubt.