Peñafiel

Peñafiel

Some kind of castle has existed here since 943, with significant architectural interventions in the XIV and XV centuries.
Castilla León doesn’t have so many castles just to attract tourists. It was the scene of serious medieval fighting, both against the Moors and rival Christians.
When Juan de Aragón inherited the castle, he rose in arms against Juan II de Castilla, who took the castle and ordered its demolition. However, in 1456 Enrique IV ordered its reconstruction.
It was a key defensive location controlling the valleys of the rivers Duero, Duratón and Botijas.
It has been put to good use since 1999, housing a wine museum.