Work on the castle was commissioned by Jaume II, King of Mallorca in 1300.
Following the Battle of Bailén in 1808 it was a prison for Napoleon’s defeated soldiers.
Only six years later General Lacy, who participated in a failed liberal rebellion against King Fernando VII, faced a firing squad in the castle moat.
In 1821, the castle was used as a mint.
In 1931 it was turned over to Palma Council and it now holds various cultural activities such as summer concerts.
Our thanks to Harald and Inge Weissling for their help visiting this castle.