Requesens is located near La Junquera, the last town on the Mediterranean border before France, where the Castle is perched upon Monte Neulós.
The castle dates back to the IX century. In the XIX century it was rebuilt in a neo-medieval style. After the Spanish Civil War some modern constructions were added to the original structure.
The castle has had the privilege of having its own war, the War of Requesens. (1047-1072), which began when Count Ponce II of Ampurias took the castle, annoyed by his own cousin, Count Gausfredo II, who appeared to be getting too big for his boots.
The castle was unsuccessfully besieged by the French King Felip l’Ardit (the bold) as part of a Papal Crusade in 1285, and then conquered in 1288 by King Jaime II of Mallorca.
The reconstruction of the ruined castle was undertaken by the Earl of Peralada, Tomas de Rocaberti in 1893, but then seemed to fall victim to a jinx, as Tomás died.
On June 24th, 1899, Requesens Castle reopened with a big party, but five days later the Countess Joana Adelaida Rocaberti also died, also childless.
In the Civil War it was attacked by Republicans and after the war was a military post, set up to try to control the guerillas operating in the mountains after the defeat of the Republic.
Salvador Dalí failed in his attempt to acquire the castle.
The castle then changed owners repeatedly in 1913, 1924, 1942 and 1955, when the current owners, the Pijoan and Esteba families bought it.
After further years of neglect, in 2014, renovation of the castle took place and it is now open to visitors who are prepared to drive along the torturous track and brave the horseflies.