The castle is known as the Eagle (Águila) castle because a great number of these birds live in the area.
The original castle was built by the Romans and was developed by the Moors.
In 1309 Guzmán el Bueno died trying to take it away from them, in the same year that he had helped Ferdinand IV of Castile capture Gibraltar.
During the Napoleonic War, the castle was defended by Antonio de Molina y Navarro and 20 men, but was captured in 1810.
Great damage was caused when the arsenal blew up in 1843.